First Day Of Preschool!!!

The first day at New School West was a successful one! Deia loved getting dressed and carrying her purple backpack and purple lunch box. We went to school, put her things in her cubby and nap basket, read two books and then she pushed me over the red line at the good bye area. All was fine?! Some of us parents met at a home down the street to chat about how crazy it was that we just left our kids at school! I imagined I needed to stay close by...but they didn't need me. So off I went to dance class...and then felt sad. I wanted Deia to know how much I had been thinking of her all day. So I quickly created a "costume corner" in her bedroom! All of her heels, crowns and jewels had their place. And on hooks were all of her princess dresses, costumes, scarves, bags and hats. When I went to pick Deia up, she had little to say about her day. She didn't eat her lunch, she didn't sleep AND she made pee on her nap mat. All par for the course on a first day.... But she seemed happy. Just deliriously tired. All those things continued for another 2 weeks, PLUS she started to cry every morning at drop off :( It was SO hard to say good bye. So we started a routine of 2 books, writing a note and having a teacher help her back to circle time after a tear filled good bye. Then all of sudden, despite continued tears in the a.m., she started to sleep...and started to eat...and when I would pick her up she would tell me she wasn't ready to leave yet. Cut to, 2 months in and I have a child that "loves preschool," knows all her classmates, throws her body around her teachers with so much love, with total autonomy and confidence around her place there and all of the things she makes/does/eats/plays etc. It's incredible. And the detail with which the teachers have shared since the beginning is mind blowing. From Day 1, emails, texts, verbal updates etc have kept me in the loop of her progress, relationships, interests and smiles. Now we read 2 books, write a quick note and sometimes Deia likes to go straight to circle, or decides if she wants to push me out backwards/soft/fast/slowly/hard... The other day she just looked at me and said, "you can go mom." What an amazing transition. What an amazing school!

No comments: